The State Chamber Internship Program
The State Chamber of Oklahoma is a membership-based statewide business organization that has served as the leading voice for Oklahoma’s business community at the State Capitol since 1926. We are excited to offer a competitive internship program to help today’s young talent become the future leaders of tomorrow. Our interns work closely with our Government Affairs, Political Affairs, Membership, Communication and Events Departments to gain a variety of experiences in a professional setting, including:
- Networking with industry professionals, business leaders and elected officials.
- Attending meetings at the State Capitol, shadowing registered lobbyists and following the legislative process.
- Communicating on a statewide level for both business and legislative audiences.
- Assisting with our events from planning to execution.
- Following professional sales, membership and marketing staff and interfacing with businesses across all sectors and regions of Oklahoma.
- Working on policy and political campaign research, messaging and advocacy.
What Others Say About the Experience
"Interning at the State Chamber was such a great experience. As the Government Affairs intern, I enjoyed getting to know the lobbyists and their executive assistant throughout the semester. I learned about their daily tasks and more about how our state government works." – Britney Wambold, former State Chamber Intern
“The internship at the State Chamber gave me an inside look into the policy, legislative, and advocacy side of business and...allowed me to focus on issues that would relate to my degree which gave me a better understanding of the industry. I now have an idea of exactly what I want to do with my degree and what I want to do in the oil and gas industry. Being able to attend numerous meetings and events was exciting since we had the opportunity to hear from business leaders...and government leaders.” – Sonny Galyon, former State Chamber Intern
“The government affairs internship was a great opportunity to obtain hands-on experience in the areas of advocacy, policy, and business. I felt like I was able to contribute to the goals of the chamber for session and be an active participant in advocacy efforts. One thing I really appreciated was that the tasks assigned to me served a purpose at the Capitol and not just busy intern work. The Government Affairs staff was very inclusive and constantly sought new opportunities for the interns.” – Jesse Mahan, former State Chamber Intern
2017 Internships Available
The State Chamber internship program is based out of Oklahoma City and offers positions for the Spring, Summer and Fall terms. College credit is available, subject to school or university requirements, and we offer a small stipend to cover travel and other related expenses.
We are currently looking for qualified individuals to fill our 2017 internships. The deadline to apply for Summer 2017 internships is April 21.
All internship applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years old. Applicants 21 years and older with college credits equivalent to at least a junior or senior are preferred. Graduate students are also welcome to apply.
- Be available for the internship program a minimum of 15 hours per week. Hours can be flexible for full or part time students.
- Have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite programs.
- Possess excellent organizational, leadership and communication skills with the ability to carry out tasks independently.
Other Internship Opportunities
Oklahoma Educated Workforce Initiative
Our partner organization, the Oklahoma Educated Workforce Initiative, is also accepting internship applications. To learn more about the organization and the internship program, click here. To apply, complete your online application and submit your resumé and any other supplemental materials to Toni Schwarz.
The State Chamber offers a Political Projects Internship during election years. To learn more about this opportunity, click here. Check back in late 2017 to learn when we will start accepting applications for the 2018 election year or email Toni Schwarz to be placed on a notification list.